Calling for volunteer bookworms
Do you love reading and helping others? Do you have a few hours you can spare to help a child read?
Doorstep Library is a reading charity we supported with a grant in April 2022 – and they’re urgently looking for volunteers in Hammersmith & Fulham. Olivia Rawnsley, Doorstep Library’s Volunteer Engagement Manager, tells us more.
“Doorstep Library is dedicated to bringing the magic of books and the joy of reading directly into the homes of children who need our support.
We use books to fuel children’s natural love of stories, fire their imaginations, and encourage their appreciation of reading. Our home-based service means that we are there in person or online, finding the most appropriate books for every child we visit and building a relationship with the whole family.
We’ve supported 500 families across the Borough in Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush, East Acton, Fulham Broadway and Parsons Green. However, there a growing demand for families who need our support.
We are urgently looking for more volunteers to join our team so we can continue to provide support to local children.
Who we’re looking for
Our volunteers come from all walks of life, from university students to volunteers in full time work, as well as older people. They are all united in a passion for reading and believing in an education for all. This is something we look for in all our volunteers.
Working in pairs, volunteers visit five sets of families over the week to support with reading. You’ll visit between 4.30pm and 7.00pm every week on either a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday and in one chosen location in Hammersmith and Fulham. We ask for a commitment of at least an academic year, but often volunteers will stay with us much longer.
If you cannot make a weekly commitment, then we also have our stand-in role, where you can stand in when weekly volunteers are not available.
Benefits of volunteering:
- It’s incredibly fun! You get to explore your inner child and share your passion for books and reading.
- You will be a part of the Doorstep Library community of families, volunteers and staff members.
- You can make a real difference to the lives of others.
- You give back to the community you live in or the community you visit every week.
- You can build your confidence and improve your self-esteem.
- You will develop skills and enhance your C.V.
All volunteers are interviewed and trained and will need to complete an enhanced DBS check. You’ll receive continued support throughout their journey with us receiving regular check-ins from staff as well as development opportunities like additional training.”
“I normally always read with someone but today I read the whole page on my own…I really enjoyed this book and I would like to keep it so I can read one page every night with my mum” – young person in East Acton
“Whatever Doorstep Library is doing – they are doing it right! The children are happy, my Team Leader is lovely. I can’t fault it – five stars! I am enjoying it, everybody enjoys it!” – volunteer in Hammersmith
Find out more
- Visit Doorstep Library or watch a short video for more information.
- Register your interest: contact Olivia on firstname.lastname@example.org and find out how to become a volunteer.
- Are you a local community organisation working in Hammersmith? If you need funding for your project, find out more about our grants programme. The next application deadline is 12 January 2023.