“I love it here. After years of bedlam, it’s so quiet and peaceful. My son’s really happy about where I live now and he knows I’m settled. He doesn’t have to worry anymore.” Resident, John Betts House
1. What type of agreement will I have and how secure is it?
Because we provide almshouse sheltered housing, your flat is protected by a trust so it can only ever be used for housing. We can never ask you to leave, unless there are exceptional circumstances, for example: you no longer meet the eligibility criteria or you don’t comply with the terms of our agreement.
Rather than being a tenant, you will have a licence to occupy your home, making you a legal beneficiary of the Charity. We will issue a Letter of Appointment that sets out your rights and obligations.
2. Do I pay rent?
Instead of paying rent, you’ll make a weekly maintenance contribution which is paid monthly in advance. You’ll pay from £879 per month (plus utilities and council tax) – we also accept housing benefit payments.
3. What does the weekly maintenance contribution charge cover?
- Contribution towards central staff and administration costs
- Heating and hot water of communal areas
- Maintenance and redecoration of buildings
- Cleaning of communal areas
- Lighting in communal areas
- Upkeep of the gardens
- External cleaning of windows
- Building insurance of the schemes
- Maintenance of lift, entry phone system, TV aerial system, fire system and appliances
- Laundry facility
- Scheme Manager’s time in administering these services
In addition, residents pay their own domestic electricity (lighting, cooking and other appliances), the cost of their telephone, their council tax and other living expenses.
4. Can I claim housing benefit?
Residents can claim housing benefit, subject to status. It can either be paid to the residents or directly to the Charity.
The weekly maintenance contribution is eligible for housing benefit, however the heating charge is not.
Find out more
- Find out more about our sheltered housing
- Find out if you’re eligible
- View our almshouses and gardens
- Hear from our residents
- Call Sam for a chat on 07470 793565
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org