The Ethnic Communities Oral History project ran from 1987 until 1994, and published fascinating insights in to the lives of the diverse communities that make up Hammersmith.
Oral History Project
“If English is not your first and most fluent language, how do you share your life experiences with others, not familiar with yours… ‘ordinary people’s’ life histories deserve as wide a readership as possible.” (Sav Kyriacou, former project coordinator, The Ethnic Communities Oral History Project 1987 – 1994)
In the late 80s/early 90s, the Hammersmith and Fulham Ethnic Communities Oral History Project published a set of 12 memoirs chronicling the collective experiences of the communities that make up our very diverse borough through the specific stories of individual members of them.
“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” (Philip Pullman)
Nearly a quarter of a century later, as part of our marking 400 years of bringing this community together, Hammersmith United Charities is republishing these stories. We will publish one a month (download on the right), each launched at a special lunch held in a venue which also reflects the community in question. You can find more about these lunches here.
We can think of no better way of celebrating the depth and richness of the heritage of our Area of Benefit nor of showcasing the range of talents and experiences from which it benefits than through the republication of these stories.
He who is different from me ….enriches me. Our unity is constituted in something higher than ourselves – in Man… For no man seeks to hear his own echo, or to find his reflection in the glass.” (Antoine de Saint- Exupery)
This is the full list of publications, we hope you enjoy them as much as we have
- The Irish in Exile – Stories of Emigration
- Passport to Exile – The Polish Way to London
- In Exile – Iranian Recollections
- The Motherland Calls – African-Caribbean Experiences
- The Forgotten Lives – Gypsies and Travellers on the Westway Site
- Xeni – Greek-Cypriots in London
- Ship of Hope – The Basque Children
- Aunt Esther’s Story (with Stephen Bourne)
- Somali Sailors
- Asian Voices – Life Stories from the Indian Sub-continent
- Sailing on Two Boats – Second Generation Perspectives
- Such a Long Story! – Chinese Voices in Britain